PM, CMs have discretion in relief fund disbursal`
New Delhi: Prime Minister and Chief Ministers
have the discretion to disburse amounts from relief fund for compensation to victims of calamities and crime but this is not "unfettered" and they cannot act on "whims and fancies",
the Supreme Court has ruled.
A bench of justices R V Raveendran and A K Patnaik
quashed a Rajasthan High Court judgement which had ruled that
the Chief Minister cannot grant compensation from his relief fund in an "arbitrary manner" to rape victims and the compensation must be uniform.
The disbursal of relief amount is purely ex-gratia at the
discretion of the Chief Minister. The Relief Fund Rules do not
create any right in any victim to demand or claim monetary
relief under the fund, Justice Raveendran writing the
The apex court, however, clarified that all functionaries
of the State are expected to act in accordance with law,
eschewing unreasonableness, arbitrariness or discrimination.
"They cannot act on whims and fancies. In a democracy
governed by the rule of law, no government or authority has
the right to do what it pleases.
"Where the rule of law prevails there is nothing like
unfettered discretion or unaccountable action. But this does
not mean that no discretion can be vested in an authority or
functionary of high standing," the bench said.
The apex court passed the judgement while upholding an
appeal filed by the Rajasthan Government challenging the State
High Court`s direction that all victims of rape should be paid
equal compensation and there shall not be any discrimination
vis-a-vis the amount.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Scientists discover new way to kill cancer cells
- Randeep Hooda-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's 'Sarbjit' mints Rs 22.09 cr at Box Office!
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Sushil Kumar vs Narsingh Yadav – No final decision yet, Delhi HC defers hearing to May 30
- Beacon from Egypt crash detected, search narrows
- Leisure time! Akshay Kumar lazes around in sunshine before the grand release of 'Housefull 3'! – See pic