PM condoles Brajesh Mishra`s death
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday condoled the death of the country`s first National Security Adviser Brajesh Mishra and said the nation has lost a towering pillar of its strategic community.
"I was deeply saddened to hear of the passing away of Brajesh Mishra who was one of the most able and influential public servants of his generation," the Prime Minister said.
"In his demise, the country has lost a towering pillar of our strategic community and an outstanding diplomat and administrator," he said.
Mishra, who would have turned 84 today, died last night.
Singh said as the first NSA, Mishra "brought to the job his breadth of strategic vision, diplomatic finesse and above all, a sense of India’s destiny and place in global affairs."
Singh said he had consulted Mishra on several occasions as Prime Minister and "always found his counsel to be insightful and free from bias. He always thought about what was right for the country."
He observed that as NSA and Principal Secretary to former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, "Mishra displayed a grasp of administration and public affairs at the highest level that few will ever match."
"He will be remembered for his masterly handling of the aftermath of the nuclear tests in 1998 and for guiding Vajpayee’s peace initiatives in the neighbourhood," the Prime Minister said.
"Please accept my deepest condolences. May God give you the strength to bear this irreparable loss," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan