PM condoles Jasjit Singh`s death, calls him inspirational military leader
New Delhi: Condoling the death of strategic thinker, Air Commodore (retd) Jasjit Singh, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday described him as a "brave soldier" and an "inspirational military leader" who provided "intellectual vision for India`s defence and strategic planning."
"I was deeply saddened by the passing away of Air Commodore (Retd) Jasjit Singh, a brave soldier, an inspirational military leader, a brilliant strategic thinker and a prolific author on military affairs," the prime minister said.
Singh, who died Sunday of pneumonia, was awarded the Vir Chakra for displaying gallantry during the 1971 war with Pakistan. In 2006, president APJ Abdul Kalam conferred Padma Bhushan, the country`s second highest civilian award, on him for his contributions in strategic thought.
In a statement, the prime minister said, "I also knew him to be a warm, kind and compassionate human being.
"The nation is grateful for his enormous service to the nation - on the battlefield, in training generations of Air Force leaders, in building institutions such as the Institute of Defence and Strategic Analysis (IDSA) and Centre for Air Power Studies (CAPS) and providing intellectual vision for India`s defence and strategic planning," he added.
Singh, 79, founded the Air Force think tank, Centre for Air Power Studies, in 2001 and was the longest continuously serving director of IDSA.
The prime minister hoped that "his writings and the institutions that he helped build will continue to serve our country well."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?