PM condoles loss of lives in earthquake in Pak, Iran
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday wrote to the Presidents of Pakistan and Iran condoling the loss of lives in the earthquake.
In a letter to President Asif Ali Zardari, Singh said, "I was deeply saddened to learn of the damage and loss of life caused in Pakistan following the earthquake that struck the eastern region of Iran yesterday."
He expressed hoped the impact of the earthquake has been minimal.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who have lost their dear ones, sustained injuries or suffered damage to their property," he said.
He voiced confidence that the government and people of Pakistan will come together to respond quickly and effectively to the natural disaster and rebuild their lives.
In a separate letter to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Singh offered assistance for the affected people.
"We are prepared to provide all assistance within our means to support your efforts to provide relief to the affected people," he said.
"The people of India join me in conveying our deepest condolences for the the loss of life, injury and destruction of property as a result of this natural disaster. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Iran," Singh said.
He expressed confidence that government of Iran and its people will respond to this tragedy with their characteristic resolve and resilience and will succeed in restoring normalcy quickly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections