PM condoles loss of lives in earthquake in Pak, Iran
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday wrote to the Presidents of Pakistan and Iran condoling the loss of lives in the earthquake.
In a letter to President Asif Ali Zardari, Singh said, "I was deeply saddened to learn of the damage and loss of life caused in Pakistan following the earthquake that struck the eastern region of Iran yesterday."
He expressed hoped the impact of the earthquake has been minimal.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who have lost their dear ones, sustained injuries or suffered damage to their property," he said.
He voiced confidence that the government and people of Pakistan will come together to respond quickly and effectively to the natural disaster and rebuild their lives.
In a separate letter to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Singh offered assistance for the affected people.
"We are prepared to provide all assistance within our means to support your efforts to provide relief to the affected people," he said.
"The people of India join me in conveying our deepest condolences for the the loss of life, injury and destruction of property as a result of this natural disaster. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Iran," Singh said.
He expressed confidence that government of Iran and its people will respond to this tragedy with their characteristic resolve and resilience and will succeed in restoring normalcy quickly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video