PM declines to comment on marine issue
Onboard PM`s special aircraft: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday declined to comment on the case of two Italian marines and the issue of delays in setting up a special court to try them on charges of killing two fishermen off the Kerala coast.
"This is now a story which is part of the judicial process. The Supreme Court has looked at it and a special court has been set up. And I sincerely believe that that is where the matter is should be left," Singh said.
"It will be much too presumptuous on my part to comment on an issue that is sub-judice," he told reporters returning from a 4-day visit to Durban in South Africa where he attended the BRICS summit.
He was asked about the charge by the families of the two dead fishermen that the Centre was deliberately delaying the process in the case of the marines sent back by Italy last week after a raging diplomatic row.
The marines, Massimiliano Latore and Salvatore Girone, arrested in connection with the killing of the fishermen in February last year, had returned to India on March 22 to meet the deadline set by the Supreme Court.
The Italian government earlier in a dramatic U-turn had agreed to send them back after having refused to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional