PM does not have the last word: Arun Jaitley
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh appears to know about the problems plaguing the country as well as the solutions but he is unable to take action due to the UPA model of governance where the elected leader does not have the final say.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said this while he expressed serious concern over the state of the Indian economy, saying the situation in the last year has been "extremely worrisome" and there is a "genuine worry" about where the country is headed.
Speaking at a CII programme here, Jaitley referred to the Prime Minister`s speech delivered on the same forum yesterday.
"I have never really doubted his wisdom. He knew what the problem was. He probably knew the answers," Jaitley said, adding that despite this there are problems in solving them as he does not possess the powers.
"In a democracy, the leader must always have the last word. Unfortunately, in this government, the elected head does not have the last word," Jaitley said, in an apparent reference to the role of Congress president.
The BJP leader said this has made it a "three-legged race" for the government as the leader of its party takes the decisions. He also sought to know what "roadmap" the government has to achieve its aim of 9 per cent growth.
He maintained that the priorities of the government appear to have changed with an "expanded expenditure" despite limited resources. He insisted that the government cannot implement its welfare schemes if it does not have the resources.
The BJP further claimed that growth depends on governance. "The quality of governance will decide how fast India moves," Jaitley said, adding that governance is in turn determined by leadership.
"Leadership needs clarity with respect to policy formulation and must have credibility. The government has to stop dragging its feet on important decisions," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...