PM expresses concern over handling of Keran operation
New Delhi: Amid questions over the Keran incident, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has expressed concern over the handling of this operation in Jammu and Kashmir where the Army claimed to have engaged a large group of terrorists but nobody was found there after 15 days.
Government sources said here that Singh expressed his concern over the handling of the operation to the Defence Ministry in a meeting this week.
This development comes at a time when there have been two incidents of attacks on Indian troops inside Indian territory in the past 10 months and ceasefire violations by Pakistan have become very frequent.
On the reasons behind the Prime Minister being concerned over the issue, they said a lot of "exaggerated claims" were made by formations about their success there but the encounter went on for 15 days and after it got over, the results did not match the claims.
The Defence Ministry has held discussions with the Army Headquarters on the issue in which details of the conduct of the operations were discussed.
The representatives of the Directorate General of Military Operations, which looks after such large-scale operations, were present during the meeting, the sources said.
National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon had briefed the Prime Minister about the incident whereas Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh had briefed Defence Minister AK Antony.
Soon after the operations started on September 24, Army authorities had claimed that 35-40 terrorists had infiltrated and around a dozen had been killed in the initial contact phase itself.
However, only eight could be killed in the operation that got over on October 8.
Questions have been raised over the operations by the local formation and the senior commanders there as several loopholes have been being cited in their conduct.
The four-day Army Commanders` Conference starting October 21 is also expected to discuss various aspects of the entire operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters