PM expresses shock over loss of lives in Andaman boat tragedy
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday expressed shock over the boat tragedy that took place in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and asked all central agencies to assist in rescue operations.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has expressed shock over the boat tragedy in the Andamans and has condoled the loss of lives," a PMO statement said.
At least 21 persons died when the tourist boat carrying them capsized in the Bay of Bengal, official sources said.
The boat `Aqua Marine` with 45 tourists on-board capsized between Ross Island and North Bay near Port Blair in Andaman earlier in the day.
"The Prime Minister has asked all central agencies to immediately assist in the rescue and relief operations," the statement added.
The boat was carrying tourists from Kanchi Puram district of Tamil Nadu and Mumbai, besides crew members. The South Andaman district administration confirmed 21 deaths and said 13 people were rescued.
Civil administration and defence establishments like the Coast Guard conducted operations to rescue remaining passengers, the sources said.
It was suspected that some persons might have been trapped in the cabin of the boat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?