PM for energy efficient power producing technology
New Delhi: India must achieve high economic growth for a "sustained period" if it is to meet the challenges of poverty, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Wednesday while calling for energy efficiency through "critical and ultra-super critical technologies for power generation".
Addressing a gathering on the occasion of National Energy Conservation Day, Manmohan Singh said, "If India is to successfully meet the challenges of poverty, hunger and disease and improve the quality of life of its citizens, it must achieve high economic growth for a sustained period."
He said high rate of economic growth would require our energy consumption also to increase rapidly.
"Since we are largely dependent on fossil fuels, any improvement in the energy efficiency of our thermal power generation plants will help reduce energy intensity of our Gross Domestic Product (GDP). To this end, we must encourage increased use of super critical and ultra-super critical technologies for power generation," he said.
Energy intensity is a measure of the energy efficiency of a nation`s economy. It is calculated as units of energy per unit of GDP.
The Prime Minister said this would also contribute to the country`s efforts to deal with the problem of climate change by reducing the carbon footprint.
"We are committed to increasing the proportion of clean energy in our total energy consumption, as spelt out in the National Action Plan on Climate Change. The National Solar Power Mission aims at production of 20,000 MW of solar power by the year 2020," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says