PM for improvement of disaster management capabilities
New Delhi: Citing the recent natural disasters in Uttarakhand, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday pressed for urgent steps to strengthen early warning systems and improve disaster management capabilities to save lives.
Addressing the 5th meeting of the National Disaster Management Authority chaired by him, he said extreme weather events are on the rise world over and they impact the poor and marginalised people in a disproportionate manner.
"Even as we meet here, the people of Andhra Pradesh are suffering from very heavy rains in the past few days and the resultant floods. It is therefore all the more necessary that we quickly improve our disaster management capabilities," Singh said.
He stressed that every rupee spent on disaster preparedness is a saving of expenditure on post-disaster relief, rehabilitation and reconstruction measures.
"Disaster risk reduction strategies, therefore, need to be mainstreamed into our developmental programmes and policies. This is an area on which the NDMA and the key ministries of the central government should lay greater stress," the Prime Minister said.
Referring to the Uttarakhand cloudburst and the subsequent floods and cyclone Phailin, he said the early warning systems and response mechanisms should be strengthened further so that the country is able to minimise the negative impact of disasters.
"In this context, NDMA`s efforts to strengthen community preparedness for disaster events and its engagement in activities related to disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness need to be continued with greater intensity," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar