PM forms EGOM to deal with apprehended drought
New Delhi: In a bid to deal with apprehended drought, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has constituted an Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) for effective management of such a situation.
The EGoM, headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, comprises Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Home Minister P Chidambaram, Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Petroleum Minister S Jaipal Reddy, Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath, Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh, Railway Minister Mukul Roy, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia and Food Minister K V Thomas.
The EGoM is authorized to review the situation and take "quick and timely decisions" on policy issues as well as other issues for effective management of drought and related issues.
In India, National Commission on Agriculture (1976) has categorized drought into three types--meteorological, hydrological and agricultural--based on the concept of its utilization.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) defines agricultural drought as a combination of temperature and precipitation over a period of several months leading to substantial reduction (less than 90 per cent) in yield.
India Meteorological Department (IMD) classified drought as an occasion when the rainfall for a week is half of the normal or less and when the normal weekly rainfall is above 5 mm or more.
If such 4 consecutive weeks occur from middle of May to October, it is considered as agricultural drought. From agriculture perspective, drought is a condition, in which, the amount of water needed for transpiration and direct evaporation exceeds the amount available in the soil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments
- Unsure if monetary policy panel to set rates in August: Raghuram Rajan
- German Bakery blast: Maha Govt. challenges Bombay HC order in SC
- Chinese woman gives birth to a baby girl from embryo frozen 18 years ago
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how