PM gets standing ovation on last working day in South Block office
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was given a standing ovation by his staff during a farewell hosted for him Tuesday, his last working day at his South Block office, when the cabinet also met and cleared the elevation of the Indian Army vice chief, Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, as the new head of the force.
Manmohan Singh will submit his resignation and that of the cabinet to President Pranab Mukherjee May 17, a day after the Lok Sabha election results are declared.
Around 110 staffers of the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) gathered at South Block to give a farewell to Manmohan Singh, who steps down after a decade at the helm of the country leading the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
"The staff gave the prime minister a standing ovation," a PMO official told IANS.
The prime minister, who did not betray much emotion, also thanked his staff for their work. Many officials presented him bouquets.
Manmohan Singh told the PMO staff: "I am very thankful to you all for your service to the nation. May god bless you."
The twitter account of Prime Minister`s Office posted some snaps of Dr Singh. Here`s the tweet:
Prime Minister thanks staff in South Block who bid farewell to him: You have served the Nation well. God bless you. pic.twitter.com/xoDXTFyH1a
— Dr Manmohan Singh (@PMOIndia) May 13, 2014
The official said that it was Manmohan Singh`s last working day in his South Block office.
Some of the staff who have interacted with the prime minister during the last 10 years were seen wiping away their tears, the official added.
Present along with Manmohan Singh were National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon, Principal Secretary Pulok Chatterjee, Prime Minister`s Advisor TKA Nair and his Media Advisor, Pankaj Pachauri.The farewell was hosted in the spacious corridor of the PMO.
The union cabinet, headed by the prime minister, also met Tuesday, possibly the last time for executing government business.
Sources said the cabinet cleared the name of Lt. Gen. Suhag as the next army chief.
The defence ministry had Monday recommended his name. The government move came after the Election Commission gave the government the go-ahead for appointing the new army chief.
The BJP had opposed appointment of the new army chief at the "fag end" of the government`s tenure.
On Tuesday, the Congress again hailed Manmohan Singh`s "experienced and seasoned stewardship".
"India is proud to have earned so many laurels and respect during the last ten years," Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi is slated to host a dinner in honour of the prime minister Wednesday, party sources said.
Manmohan Singh will deliver a farewell address to the nation May 17 after he submits his resignation and that of his government to the president.
Before that, the prime minister will attend his last cabinet meeting at which the members of council of ministers will thank him for his leadership.
"He is likely to address the nation May 17 afternoon," a PMO official told IANS.
Manmohan Singh will continue as the caretaker prime minister till his successor takes the oath of office.
The official said that prime minister will move out of his present 7, Race Course Road residence and go to his new residence at 3, Moti Lal Nehru Marg, after the new prime minister is sworn in.
Manmohan Singh had earlier this year announced his retirement after a decade at the helm of two successive United Progressive Alliance (UPA) governments. On Jan 3 this year, Manmohan Singh addressed his final press conference, and only his third in ten years. He announced his retirement at the press conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`