PM greets nation on Lohri, Makar Sankranti
New Delhi: Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has greeted the nation on the occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal.
In his message, Dr Singh said that these festivals mark the joy and hope that a new harvest brings.
"Farming is closely linked to our ethos and culture and the festivals remind us of the importance of agriculture to our country and economy. May these festivals bring prosperity and happiness for all," he added.
Earlier, President Pranab Mukherjee also greeted his fellow countrymen and hoped the festivals would bring prosperity and happiness for all.
In his message, Mukherjee said: "On the auspicious occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to all fellow citizens and wish them every happiness and prosperity."
"May these festivals which celebrate fresh harvest, the hard work of our farmers and the bounty of nature bring the promise of further growth and progress for our nation," he added.
Lohri and Makar Sankranti fall on January 13 and Pongal on January 14. Traditionally people in Punjab and Haryana build bonfires on Lohri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you