PM greets nation on Lohri, Makar Sankranti
New Delhi: Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has greeted the nation on the occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal.
In his message, Dr Singh said that these festivals mark the joy and hope that a new harvest brings.
"Farming is closely linked to our ethos and culture and the festivals remind us of the importance of agriculture to our country and economy. May these festivals bring prosperity and happiness for all," he added.
Earlier, President Pranab Mukherjee also greeted his fellow countrymen and hoped the festivals would bring prosperity and happiness for all.
In his message, Mukherjee said: "On the auspicious occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to all fellow citizens and wish them every happiness and prosperity."
"May these festivals which celebrate fresh harvest, the hard work of our farmers and the bounty of nature bring the promise of further growth and progress for our nation," he added.
Lohri and Makar Sankranti fall on January 13 and Pongal on January 14. Traditionally people in Punjab and Haryana build bonfires on Lohri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!