PM greets nation on Lohri, Makar Sankranti
New Delhi: Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has greeted the nation on the occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal.
In his message, Dr Singh said that these festivals mark the joy and hope that a new harvest brings.
"Farming is closely linked to our ethos and culture and the festivals remind us of the importance of agriculture to our country and economy. May these festivals bring prosperity and happiness for all," he added.
Earlier, President Pranab Mukherjee also greeted his fellow countrymen and hoped the festivals would bring prosperity and happiness for all.
In his message, Mukherjee said: "On the auspicious occasion of Lohri, Makar Sankranti and Pongal, I extend my warm greetings and good wishes to all fellow citizens and wish them every happiness and prosperity."
"May these festivals which celebrate fresh harvest, the hard work of our farmers and the bounty of nature bring the promise of further growth and progress for our nation," he added.
Lohri and Makar Sankranti fall on January 13 and Pongal on January 14. Traditionally people in Punjab and Haryana build bonfires on Lohri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'