PM has sent a message of disillusionment, despair: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Sunday attacked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh following criticism of his performance by Time Magazine, saying he had only sent a message of "disillusionment, corruption and a leaderless economy".
Singh, who has long been lauded for his pivotal role in liberalising the Indian economy, has been dubbed as an "underachiever" by the US magazine which says he appears "unwilling to stick his neck out" on reforms that will put the country back on growth path.
"Definitely, he is not an achiever.... All that he has achieved is corruption, scam and bad governance.... He is an honest prime minister of the most corrupt government," BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters here while referring to the magazine report.
BJP leader Tarun Vijay said the same US magazine had lauded the performance of its Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"There is a sharp contrast between the two Indians who had been featured on Time magazine. While a story on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was that he meant business and gave a message of prosperity, security, infrastructure development and progress for the country specially people of Gujarat, the other Indian who has been featured is Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is giving a message of despair, disillusionment, corruption, leaderless economy and downslide of Indian rupee," he said.
The Congress countered the criticism saying in the past eight years the UPA government headed by Singh has provided political stability, social harmony, internal cohesion, economic growth and a greater role in global affairs.
"This by no stretch of imagination is under achievement," party spokesperson Manish Tewari said.
RJD leader Lalu Prasad also came out in defence of the government saying the TIME report must have been "dictated" by Team Anna.
"People like Anna Hazare and Kejriwala had given dictation to the American magazine," he said.
Praising the government, Lalu said UPA projects are doing well and asked, "What will America say as their own economy is shattered?".
Team Anna member Manish Sisodia said the "government of the day needs to be set responsible for all these things. When Manmohan Singh took over he was supposed to be an honest person. He was supposed to deliver, which he has totally failed to deliver. Everyday a new case of corruption comes up."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir