PM holds consultations with UPA allies on Lokpal
New Delhi: On the eve of the all-party
meeting on Lokpal issue, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday night
held consultations with UPA constituents after which a "broad
consensus" was reported on the approach to the matter.
RLD leader Ajit Singh, who joined UPA yesterday, was among
those who attended the two-hour meeting held at the Prime
Briefing media persons, Home Minister P Chidambaram said
leaders of all parties expressed their views and discussions
were "very fruitful" and "very extensive" on the issue.
"Parties discussed the (Parliamentary) Standing Committee
report on the Lokpal. The parties discussed the approach for
the all-party meeting tomorrow. They will express their views
in the meeting tomorrow," he said.
"There is a broad consensus in the UPA-II on the approach
to the Lokpal," Chidambaram said.
He expressed the hope that that tomorrow`s meeting would
be "productive and we can reach conclusions on the amendments
to the draft Lokpal bill and bring it before Parliament."
Among those present at the meeting were Congress president
Sonia Gandhi, Law Minister Salman Khurshid, Chairman of the
Parliament Standing Committee on Law and Personnel Abhishek
Singhvi and Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy.
The PM`s consultations with allies came amidst
intense pressure on the government from political parties to
include the Prime Minister, Group C and D employees and the
anti-corruption wing of CBI within the purview of the Lokpal
BJP, the Left and BSP are expected to press these issues
in tomorrow`s meeting as the Standing Committee has kept these
Hours before consultations with UPA allies, the Prime
Minister discussed the Bill with Sonia Gandhi and top Congress
leaders and ministerial colleagues in the Core Group in the
Singhvi also attended that meeting and is understood to
have briefed the leaders about the pros and cons of various
issues concerning the measure.
Ahead of the meeting, Congress had called upon all the
parties within the UPA and outside to sit together and try to
evolve a political consensus.
The Lokpal Bill is expected to come up for consideration
in the Lok Sabha on December 20, two days ahead of the
conclusion of the current session of Parliament, amid the
looming threat of hunger strike by Anna Hazare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon