PM is the power centre in governance: Digvijay
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh maintained today that party president Sonia Gandhi has not interfered in the functioning of the government even once and that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was the "power centre in governance."
Singh made this remark while seeking to clarify the "perception" of two power centres which came into focus after his recent comments that this model had not worked very well.
"There has to be one power centre and here the power centre is Dr Manmohan Singh in governance and for political matters it is of course Mrs Sonia Gandhi," the AICC general secretary told a television news channel.
"Both are working separately in their own domain, Dr Manmohan Singh takes all decisions in Government of India, and Mrs Sonia Gandhi takes all decisions in organisation," he added.
Seeking to explain the context of his earlier remarks that triggered a controversy, Singh said that because of the media hype and opposition allegations there is a general perception among bureaucracy and all forms of government that there are dual power centres.
"This is a perception created by media that there are dual power centres, perception created by the Opposition, frankly the Congress president has never interfered in the functioning of the government not once," he said.
Singh said the Congress President has suggested policies like RTI Act and NREGA programme which is as per the party`s election manifesto and Common Minimum Programme (CMP).
"But, she has never interfered in the functioning of the government, so this perception is wrong," he added.
Singh had earlier said, "Personally, I feel that this model(of having two power centres) hasn`t worked very well. Because, I personally feel that there should not be two power centres and I think whoever is the Prime Minister must have the authority to function although Sonia Gandhi has really never interfered in the functioning of the government."
Prime Minister Singh, when asked about the issue of two power centres coming into focus after Digvijay Singh raked it up, had curtly replied, "It is a useless debate. It is a creation of the media."
Congress spokesman Janardan Dwivedi while rejecting Singh`s assessment had said, "The relationship which exists between Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today is unique and something which has never been seen before. This could be an ideal arrangement for the future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India