PM keeps Finance portfolio with himself
New Delhi: As Pranab Mukherjee resigned to contest the Presidential poll, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday took charge of the Finance Ministry portfolio at a time when the country`s economy is going through a bad phase.
Singh, a renowned economist, will be assisted by two Ministers of State -- SS Palanimanickam and Namo Narain Meena.
A former RBI Governor, Singh was credited with bringing about economic reforms in the country when he was the Finance Minister in the Narasimha Rao government in 1991.
Singh is taking charge of the ministry at a time when the country`s growth rate has slowed down, slipping to a nine-year low of 6.5 per cent and current account deficit (CAD) touching a high of 4 per cent.
Besides, Rupee has reached a historic low of 57.97 against a dollar, providing another direct challenge for the Prime Minister.
Singh already holds portfolios of Atomic Energy, Space, Planning, and Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
In another decision, Science and Technology Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh was today given the additional charge of Small, Micro and Medium Industries after Virbhadra Singh resigned in the wake of corruption charges against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister