PM launches Gandhi heritage portal
New Delhi: "Mahatma Gandhi is not only in our past; he is in our present and will also form a significant part of the future that we want for our country and its people," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said.
He was speaking after launching a portal, dedicated to writings, works and manuscripts of Gandhi, at his residence here.
He said Gandhi Heritage Portal is a technology-driven initiative aimed at making information on Gandhi accessible all over the world on an electronic platform.
"It aspires to be one of the most authentic open source archives on the life and thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi. I am confident that it will be an invaluable resource for generations to come, especially for the youth worldwide.
"This collection of documents provides great source material on our freedom struggle and captures the triumphs and tribulations, the thoughts and visions of an entire generation of freedom-fighters led by Bapu," Singh said.
Noting that knowledge has to be an inclusive process, where barriers to learning are systematically dismantled, he said, "Only a society that is committed to the free flow of ideas can hope to lead in an age of knowledge."
Listing out various steps taken by his government in this direction, he listed National Manuscripts Mission, Digital Library of India, variorum on Tagore and this portal as some important milestones.
The portal has 5 lakh pages of authentic and verified information and is expected to have over 15 lakh pages.
Singh said in addition to Gandhi`s intangible heritage by way of his thought, which embraces all of humanity, the country is also conscious of his tangible heritage and its preservation and promotion.
He said the Gandhi Heritage Sites Mission set up in this regard will go in for professional conservation and management of buildings where he stayed and bring published and unpublished documents, photographs and audio visuals, among others.
Singh added a world-class national memorial should soon come up at Dandi to inspire the younger generation and expose them to the trials the freedom fighters went through.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'