PM leaves for Frankfurt en route to India
New York: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh left
here on Monday for Frankfurt on his way back home after concluding
a five-day visit during which he attended the high-level
segment of the UN General Assembly.
Singh will have a technical overnight halt in Frankfurt
before leaving for home tomorrow.
A cake may be cut mid-air to celebrate his 79th birthday
today on the New York-Frankfurt leg.
In his address to the General Assembly on Saturday,
Singh made a powerful call for early reform and expansion of
the UN Security Council "to reflect contemporary reality" and
asked nations not to allow the global economic slowdown to
trigger protectionism through various barriers.
On terrorism, he had said there cannot be "selective
approaches" in dealing with the scourge that needed to be
fought across all fronts.
He had also expressed India`s "steadfast" support for
Palestinians` struggle for a sovereign, independent and united
state, saying that New Delhi looked forward to welcoming
Palestine as an "equal" member of the United Nations.
On the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session, the
Prime Minister held talks with Iranian President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad and Sri Lankan leader Mahinda Rajapaksa.
He had also met the newly elected Prime Ministers of
Japan and Nepal -- Yoshihiko Noda and Baburam Bhattarai
The Prime Minister had attended the UNGA after a gap of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea