PM leaves Frankfurt for home
Frankfurt: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Tuesday left here for home after a technical overnight halt on
his way back from New York, where he attended the high-level
segment of the UN General Assembly.
The Prime Minister was in New York for five days during
which he addressed the UN General Assembly`s annual session
and held talks with several world leaders.
Singh, who turned 79 yesterday, celebrated his birthday
on board Air India One on his way to Frankfurt from New York.
In his address to the General Assembly on Saturday, Singh
made a powerful call for early reform and expansion of the UN
Security Council "to reflect contemporary reality" and asked
nations not to allow the global economic slowdown to trigger
protectionism through various barriers.
On terrorism, he had said there cannot be "selective
approaches" in dealing with the scourge that needed to be
fought across all fronts.
He had also expressed India`s "steadfast" support for
Palestinians` struggle for a sovereign, independent and united
state, saying that New Delhi looked forward to welcoming
Palestine as an "equal" member of the United Nations.
On the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session, the
Prime Minister held talks with Iranian President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad and Sri Lankan leader Mahinda Rajapaksa.
He had also met the newly elected Prime Ministers of
Japan and Nepal -- Yoshihiko Noda and Baburam Bhattarai
The Prime Minister had attended the UNGA after a gap of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!