PM leaves Frankfurt for home
Frankfurt: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Tuesday left here for home after a technical overnight halt on
his way back from New York, where he attended the high-level
segment of the UN General Assembly.
The Prime Minister was in New York for five days during
which he addressed the UN General Assembly`s annual session
and held talks with several world leaders.
Singh, who turned 79 yesterday, celebrated his birthday
on board Air India One on his way to Frankfurt from New York.
In his address to the General Assembly on Saturday, Singh
made a powerful call for early reform and expansion of the UN
Security Council "to reflect contemporary reality" and asked
nations not to allow the global economic slowdown to trigger
protectionism through various barriers.
On terrorism, he had said there cannot be "selective
approaches" in dealing with the scourge that needed to be
fought across all fronts.
He had also expressed India`s "steadfast" support for
Palestinians` struggle for a sovereign, independent and united
state, saying that New Delhi looked forward to welcoming
Palestine as an "equal" member of the United Nations.
On the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session, the
Prime Minister held talks with Iranian President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad and Sri Lankan leader Mahinda Rajapaksa.
He had also met the newly elected Prime Ministers of
Japan and Nepal -- Yoshihiko Noda and Baburam Bhattarai
The Prime Minister had attended the UNGA after a gap of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video