PM Manmohan Singh condoles Tikait`s death
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday condoled the death of BKU leader Mahendra Singh Tikait, saying he was a unique leader who will be "deeply missed" in the years ahead.
In his condolence message to Tikait`s elder son Narendra Pal Tikait, Singh said: "Chaudhury Tikait`s commitment to the welfare of farmers and to rural India was deep and unwavering."
"His work was a powerful influence across the country and inspired the formation of many other organisations devoted to the cause of farmers," he said.
Describing Tikait as a "fiercely independent" person, Prime Minister said "he resisted the pull of politics all his life. His work, his courage of conviction and his simplicity made him a unique leader."
In Lucknow, Chief Minister said: "Tikait worked throughout the life in the interest of farmers and fought for their cause. His works will always be remembered."
Meanwhile, JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav said the death of Tikait is a loss which cannot be compensated.
"Tikait was a symbol of relentless struggle against farmers exploitation. True homage to him will be stopping the ongoing loot of farmers land in Uttar Pradesh," Yadav said in his condolence message.
Former BJP president Rajnath Singh said Tikait dedicated his life for the welfare of farmers.
"He was free from all stigma of corruption and he lived a simple life. We have lost a true friend of farmers," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday