PM Manmohan Singh to meet Nawaz Sharif in US, have summit with Obama
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Ahead of his five-day visit to the US, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said that he was looking forward to bilateral meeting with Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
“During my visit to New York, I am looking forward to bilateral meetings with leaders of our neighbouring countries Bangladesh, Nepal and Pakistan,” the PM said.
The Prime Minister is heading to New York to address the UNGA Sep 28. A meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistan counterpart is likely on Sep 29 on the sidelines of the UNGA.
In his departure statement before embarking on a five-day visit to the US, Dr Singh said his summit meeting with President Barack Obama would be an opportunity to review bilateral cooperation and chart a course for future cooperation.
Some agreements including the one between Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and US firm Westinghouse and about a dozen in the field of defence are expected to be signed during the visit.
Laying emphasis on the growing India-US relationship, Dr Singh, who shares a great rapport with President Barack Obama, said that over the past decade, New Delhi’s relationship with Washington has transformed into a global strategic partnership.
He further said that New Delhi sees Washington as a long-term partner in our development efforts and in fostering global environment that is conducive to our growth.
Singh, who will be having a third summit meeting with Obama since 2009 said, "The intensive, high-level bilateral visits over the last few months reflect the strong momentum of bilateral engagement.
"We have also registered impressive progress in our cooperation across the full spectrum of the relationship.... My visit is an opportunity to review our joint efforts and chart a course for our future cooperation," he said.
In his address to the UNGA on Sep 28, the Prime Minister said he would "emphasize the importance of maintaining poverty eradication and inclusive development at the core of the post-2015 development agenda".
"The Sustainable Development Goals that are expected to be drawn up as part of the follow-up to the Rio+20 Conference should ensure a holistic approach to sustainable development objectives, ensuring a balanced treatment of its economic, social and environmental dimensions as well as universal applicability".
The Prime Minister said he would also convey India`s "strong conviction that global challenges are best addressed through multilateral approaches, with the United Nations at its centre".
India would also press for early reform of institutions of global political and economic governance, particularly the United Nations Security Council, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly