PM Manmohan Singh’s visit historic: US
Washington: A week after Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh was accorded a red carpet welcome in the US,
the Obama administration has termed his visit as "historic"
and said both the countries had some "specific
"It was really an historic visit, that we had some
specific accomplishments," the State Department spokesman Ian
Kelly told reporters.
"I think we achieved some important agreements, and
we signed several agreements right here at the State
Department," Kelly said when asked about the visit of the
Indian Prime Minister, during which several memorandum of
understandings were signed.
But according to experts, it lacked the big news item
like the nuclear deal announced during the Prime Minister`s
State Visit during the Bush Administration in 2005.
"I think the main thing was it underscored the growing
importance of our relationship of the United States with the
world`s largest democracy, of a country that is growing in
importance not only regionally, but globally," Kelly said.
"We opened up some new areas for cooperation and for
discussion, particularly in the areas of energy and climate
change. So I think it was really an historic visit, that we
had some specific accomplishments.
"In the long run, the important thing was that we
agreed on the need for a strategic partnership in both
regional and global issues,” Kelly said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?