PM Manmohan Singh’s visit historic: US
Washington: A week after Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh was accorded a red carpet welcome in the US,
the Obama administration has termed his visit as "historic"
and said both the countries had some "specific
"It was really an historic visit, that we had some
specific accomplishments," the State Department spokesman Ian
Kelly told reporters.
"I think we achieved some important agreements, and
we signed several agreements right here at the State
Department," Kelly said when asked about the visit of the
Indian Prime Minister, during which several memorandum of
understandings were signed.
But according to experts, it lacked the big news item
like the nuclear deal announced during the Prime Minister`s
State Visit during the Bush Administration in 2005.
"I think the main thing was it underscored the growing
importance of our relationship of the United States with the
world`s largest democracy, of a country that is growing in
importance not only regionally, but globally," Kelly said.
"We opened up some new areas for cooperation and for
discussion, particularly in the areas of energy and climate
change. So I think it was really an historic visit, that we
had some specific accomplishments.
"In the long run, the important thing was that we
agreed on the need for a strategic partnership in both
regional and global issues,” Kelly said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'