PM may address nation Monday on coal scam: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress Saturday expressed hope that the BJP will allow Parliament to function Monday and indicated that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh may address the nation on the issue of alleged coal scam if the proceedings of the two houses were disrupted again.
Congress spokesperson Sandeep Dikshit said the Bharatiya Janata Party`s stance of demanding the prime minister`s resignation was "ridiculous".
"It is completely misrepresenting the CAG report," Dikshit said.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in a report to parliament last week said that lack of transparency in allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in a notional loss of Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) to the exchequer.
Dikshit said the BJP was not allowing the prime minister to speak on charges concerning the CAG report.
Asked if the prime minister could address the nation if the BJP continued to disrupt proceedings Monday, Dikshit said Finance Minister P. Chidambaram spoke about the possibility of the UPA government finding a way out.
Dikshit, however, added he did not know what decision the government will take.
Chidambaram told media persons Friday that if the prime minister is not allowed to speak in the house Monday, the government will have to find a way for him to speak to the country. The Prime Minister is scheduled to leave for Iran Tuesday on a three-day official visit to attend the Non Aligned Movement summit Aug 30-31.
Congress sources said Speaker Meira Kumar had called a meeting of political parties Monday to find a way out of impasse in parliament over the BJP`s demand for the prime minister`s resignation and successive disruption of parliament last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks