PM meets cabinet, with Maran present
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday met his cabinet at his residence here, and an official said yoga guru Baba Ramdev`s threatened hunger strike against corruption might be discussed.
Senior ministers, including Dayanidhi Maran, who has come under the 2G spectrum scam cloud, were present at the 7 Race Course Road residence, the official said.
This is the first time Maran is attending a cabinet meeting after he was accused of having received kickbacks for issuing a 2G licence to a private operator when he was the communication minister 2004-07.
Maran has denied the allegations amid demands for his resignation.
The cabinet meeting comes a day after Ramdev ignored appeals from the government to abandon his fast. Informed sources said the ministers would discuss how to break the deadlock with the yoga guru.
Manmohan Singh Wednesday night met senior cabinet ministers to discuss the Ramdev issue.
The cabinet is also likely to consider a 5-15 percent increase in minimum support price for crops planted in the coming kharif season. This includes paddy, groundnut, cotton and some coarse cereals.
This would compensate farmers for the sharp rise in costs of inputs and prices in general.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city