PM meets Robert Gates, discusses Af-Pak situation
Washington: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Monday kicked-off his State Visit to the US by meeting Defence
Secretary Robert Gates and the two are understood to have
discussed issues of bilateral interest and situation in the
Gates called on Singh, who arrived here yesterday on a
four-day visit, at the Willard Intercontinental Hotel, and the
two leaders were closetted for over 30 minutes.
In his initial remarks, Singh told Gates that India
and US share a deep strategic relationship. They also
discussed about the situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Singh and Gates are understood to have discussed the
counter-terrorism methods and also about stepping up
cooperation against the menace.
The meeting between Singh and Gates assume
significance as it comes just hours before the Situation Room
meeting by President Barack Obama to discuss the
administration`s strategy on Pakistan and Afghanistan.
The US considers India as an effective partner in
Afghanistan where New Delhi has been engaging in
Singh, who will meet Obama tomorrow and hold talks
with him, will also address the Senate Foreign Relations
Committee late tonight and meet several influential lawmakers.
Singh will also address the US-India Joint Business
Forum besides meeting Vice President Joseph Biden, Speaker of
House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi and a host of other
The two countries will sign a number of pacts,
including an MoU on counter-terrorism to provide a legal
framework for stepped up cooperation against the menace, and
discuss the problem of climate change ahead of the Copenhagen
During the talks with Obama, the Prime Minister is
expected to register India`s concerns over diversion of US aid
by Pakistan and press for ensuring accountability to prevent
misuse of funds and equipment, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan