PM, ministers to meet on Kashmir Monday evening
New Delhi: Amid strong opposition of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to even partial revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) and a volatile situation in the Kashmir Valley, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) is slated to meet here on Monday evening to discuss a peace package for the violence-hit region.
"The meeting is likely to be held in the evening even though we have not announced it so far," said an official in the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO).
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is chairperson of the CCS, and Defence Minister AK Antony will be busy at the Combined Commanders` Conference here in the morning. Antony said in Thiruvananthapuram on Sunday that the CCS would meet Monday.
Besides the Prime Minister and Antony, the CCS comprises Home Minister P Chidambaram, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and External Affairs Minister SM Krishna.
The BJP has warned the government against withdrawing the AFSPA from some districts of Kashmir. "Any such move will demoralise the security forces deployed in the state," party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here on Sunday.
A meeting of top leaders of the BJP, presided over by senior leader LK Advani, here demanded that Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah be replaced by a "more acceptable person".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre