PM Modi gifts books on Swami Vivekananda, copy of Bhagavad Gita to Abe
Kyoto: Prime Minister Narendra Modi carried alongwith him special gifts for Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe as he arrived here on Saturday on a five-day visit with an aim of raising the ties to a new level.
Modi presented to Abe a special commemorative edition of 'Swami Vivekananda and Japan- excerpts from the life and works of Swami Vivekanand and 'Vivekananda in Japan' by Swami Medhasananda' and a copy of the Bhagavad Gita.
In addition to the Sanskrit version, a Japanese version of the Bhagavad Gita was also presented to Abe.
Modi, who has been "excited" about the visit, gifted books to Abe who made a special gesture of travelling here specially to meet the Indian Prime Minister in this historic city before their formal Summit meeting in Tokyo on Monday.
Abe, who has said "India has special place in my heart", received Modi at the guest house soon after the Indian Prime Minister reached here after landing at airport in neighbouring Osaka and driving down a journey of about two hours.
The two leaders also jointly participated in a Japanese ritual called 'feeding the fish', which is considered to be auspicious beginning. They went to a pond and gave the feed to the fish in it.
Abe then hosted a dinner for Modi.
Japanese Prime Minister will also treat Modi to special 'Chai' (tea) on Monday in Tokyo.
Ahead of the visit, the two Prime Ministers took to Twitter two days back to reach out to each other and the respective countries.
While Modi tweeted in Japanese language to strike a chord with the Japanese people, Abe responded hours later by saying "India has a special place in my heart".
Modi had earlier said he was eagerly looking forward to meeting Abe whose leadership he "deeply respects".
The Prime Minister will tomorrow visit the famous Toji temple.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you