PM Modi seeks report on clashes along Assam-Nagaland border
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday sought a report from the Home
Ministry on clashes that took place along Assam-Nagaland border.
The development came after Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, amid rising tensions on the border, blamed the Modi government for failing to contain violence there.
The Centre, on its part, said it could only assist the state government in containing the violence.
Also Read: Gogoi blames Modi govt; Centre hits back
At least nine persons were killed on the Assam side of border on August 12 allegedly by armed groups from Nagaland.
After the killings, nearly 10,000 people fled their homes in seven villages of Golaghat district in Assam.
A news channel quoted Gogoi as saying that it is the responsibility of the Central government, not of the state government, to ensure peace in disputed areas. He lamented the fact that the Centre has not sent a single officer to the affected area.
In response, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said the responsibility to maintain law and order was the state government`s responsibility, even in disputed areas.
“The Centre can only deploy security forces, to regulate them is the state government`s job. The Centre cannot be held responsible for failing to contain violence on the Assam-Nagaland border,” the minister asserted.
The Narendra Modi government at the Centre yesterday rushed around 1,000 additional paramilitary personnel for deployment along the Assam-Nagaland border.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and his Nagaland counterpart TR Zeliang will meet in Guwahati on August 21 to discuss the current problems in the border areas.
Meanwhile, a large number of people today blocked the NH-37 by burning tyres and felling trees on the road at Borsapori, Borjuri and Kuruwabahi in protest against the police action in Rongajan in Golaghat district.
Police had opened fire against people protesting against the violence on the Assam-Nagaland border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion