PM Narendra Modi criticises Pakistan`s proxy war
Leh: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday condemned the "continuing proxy war by Pakistan" and said that the government is committed to make India self-reliant in defence manufacturing.
Modi said that the "neighbouring country has lost the strength to fight a conventional war but continues to engage in the proxy war of terrorism".
Modi, who is on a day-long visit to the Ladakh region, while addressing soldiers here mentioned the provisions made in the union budget towards the modernization and welfare of the armed forces, including "One Rank One Pension".
He said "the government is committed to make India self-reliant in defence manufacturing" and promised that a National War Memorial would be built.
Expressing concern over the casualties suffered by the armed forces more from terrorism than war, the prime minister said: "This is a global problem and all humanitarian forces of the world should unite to fight it. India is committed to strengthening and uniting these humanitarian forces."
He also said that the country is committed to strong armed forces and to equipping them with modern arms and technology.
"The jawans should be assured that the entire country supports them. Soldiers remain undeterred in spite of the many negatives and struggles that their families face in day-to-day life," Modi said, adding that the soldiers` "energy and sense of duty inspires him".
Modi added that the armed forces deployed in border areas are well connected with the people who live there.
He cited the example of the Kargil infiltration, about which the first information was given to the armed forces by a shepherd named Tashi Namgyal. India defeated Pakistani infiltrators in the 1999 Kargil war.
Later, writing in the visitor`s book at Leh Auditorium, Modi said that peace and security are a pre-requisite for development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy