PM Narendra Modi`s `wife` Jashodaben gets 24X7 security cover
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: Now when Prime Minister Narendra Modi has moved to Delhi from Gujarat, his wife Jashodaben is under 24X7 security cover.
A newspaper has quoted SB Trivedi, DSP Mehsana, told a daily: "Jashoda Modi`s security includes four armed policemen in plainclothes and a vehicle to keep a watch on her surroundings and any suspicious movement in her village. She will be accompanied by a constable round the clock.”
Jashodaben lives with her two brothers in a small village called Ishwarwada in Mehsana district of north Gujarat.
As per Special Protection Group rules though, the 62-year-old Jashodaben is entitled to the SPG cover, same as the PM, irrespective of the status of the ties between her and her husband.
The SPG Act, which was enacted in 1988 and amended in 1991, 1994 and 1999, provides for `Proximate Security` to the Prime Minister and the members of his immediate family.
Any former prime ministers or members of their immediate families are also entitled to SPG security for a period of 10 years from the date on which they cease to hold office.
Those in the establishment said that a protectee may refuse security cover, but only if there was no threat perception against him or her. It was pointed out that security may be mandatorily provided in case of the slightest apprehension over the safety of a protectee.
Modi had for the first time acknowledged Jashodaben as his wife while filing his nomination papers for the Vadodara Lok Sabha seat.
Modi and Jashodaben were married in 1968 when they were both teenagers.
According to media reports, when they first met, Modi had spoken to her about his dream of serving the country and also advised her to pursue her studies. Jashodaben retired as a school teacher and now leads a quiet life.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what