PM offers help to typhoon-hit Philippines
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday conveyed his condolences to Philippines President Benigno Aquino over the catastrophe caused by typhoon Haiyan and offered India`s help in relief and rehabilitation efforts.
"The scale and severity of the death and destruction caused by the typhoon has saddened and shocked us," Singh said in his message to Aquino.
"I write to convey to you the deepest condolences of the people of India on the catastrophe caused by Typhoon Haiyan... Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the people of the Philippines in this extraordinary moment of grief," he wrote.
Noting that any nation would take time to come to terms with a tragedy of this magnitude, Singh said he has full faith in the resilience and resolve of the people of the Philippines to quickly rebound from their losses and in the capacity of the Aquino government to provide immediate relief to the affected communities and rebuild their lives.
"We stand ready to provide all help to support the relief and rehabilitation efforts of your government," the Prime Minister said.
Over 10,000 people are feared dead and many more have been rendered homeless because of the typhoon. The US and Britain have deployed warships for help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof