PM panel suggests Smart card for subsidised foodgrains
New Delhi: Prime Minister`s expert committee
on National Food Security Bill has favoured distribution of
subsidised foodgrains through smart card-based public
distribution system (PDS) in order to stop the leakages.
"As an alternative to the existing PDS we may switch over
to the use of smart cards which simply means that the food
subsidy may be directly transferred to the beneficiaries
instead of to the owners of PDS stores," the committee headed
by PMEAC chairman C Rangarajan said in its report.
The report said that this will finally lead to a system
where there are no leakages and distortions of foodgrains and
will create incentives for PDS stores to be more efficient.
"... with the biometric identification system, people
will have the freedom to migrate to any part of the country
without the fear of losing their food rations," it added.
In terms of the fiscal burden, the smart cards will not
impose an additional burden and the subsidy may in fact
reduce, the report said.
Under the smart card-based PDS, all existing ration cards
would be replaced with bio-metric featured smart cards. These
smart cards will contain bio-metric features of adult members
of the ration card holder families.
Certain states like Chattisgarh, Chandigarh and Haryana
has already introduced the smart card-based distribution
systems on pilot basis in certain districts.
The government, in the 2008-09 Budget, had announced that
Haryana and the Union Territory of Chandigarh will implement
the smart card based delivery system.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know