PM raps Ramesh for criticising China policy
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday rapped Union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh for his recent critical remarks against the Home Ministry, and asked him not to comment on the functioning of other government ministries.
The Prime Minister is reported to have told Ramesh to exercise maximum restraint while commenting on the functioning of other ministries.
According to PMO sources, Singh told Ramesh that there was "no confusion" in the government regarding its policies towards China.
The development came in the light of critical remarks made by Ramesh against Home Minister P Chidambaram’s policies towards Chinese companies, which, according to him, were threatening the post-Copenhagen warming of ties between the two neighbours.
While addressing a climate change conference in China, Ramesh had slammed the Home Ministry’s policies and described them as ‘paranoid’ and ‘alarmist’ in response to the government’s decision of banning the import of telecom equipment from Chinese firm Huawei for installation in border areas because of security concerns.
The critical remarks from the Union Environment Minister have caused a great embarrassment to the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured