PM received gifts worth Rs 21 lakh during foreign visits
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
received gifts worth over Rs 21 lakh during his foreign visits
in the last five years while UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
got presents valued at Rs 7.15 lakh.
The Prime Minister received a total of 176 gifts worth
over Rs 21.01 lakh during his visits abroad between 2005 and
2010 whereas Gandhi`s just five gifts totalled over Rs seven
As per rules, the gifts received by members of
delegation having cost of above Rs 5,000 have to be deposited
in the government "toshakhana" -- where gifts and emblems of
honour received by dignitaries are kept.
During the period, 270 gifts have been deposited in the
`toshakhana` by members of different delegations which
undertook offshore visits, the reply provided by Ministry of
External Affairs to Hissar-based RTI activist Ramesh Verma
Prime Minister`s wife Gurusharan Kaur also deposited
gifts worth Rs 6,600.
A framed replica of a royal emblem made of fine gold
worth Rs 10 lakh, a small time piece with figure of a horse in
gold and silver worth Rs two lakh, LCD TV worth Rs 1.25 lakh,
a large carpet worth Rs 60,000 were some of the valuable gifts
received by the Prime Minister during his foreign visits
during the period.
During her visits abroad, the UPA Chairperson received a
jewellery set worth Rs five lakh, another set containing a
white gold necklace fitted with precious sapphire and iolite
stones worth Rs 1.9 lakh and a painting worth Rs 10,000 among
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee deposited 20 gifts
worth over Rs 1.16 lakh, former Home Minister Shivraj Patil
deposited 56 gifts valued at Rs 3.12 lakh, Petroleum Minister
Murli Deora submitted seven gifts worth Rs 3.64 lakh and Home
Minister P Chidambaram deposited gifts having value of Rs.
Former Home Minister Shivraj Patil received `Saris`
among other gifts. Some of the gifts are prohibited under
different laws. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh received a Zebra
skin while Patil received a red box of ivory. Both items are
prohibited under the wild life laws.
Gifts received by Deora included a bracelet worth Rs 1.2
lakh, a ladies watch worth Rs one lakh, platinum ring with
ruby work worth Rs 23,500, a platinum ear ring fitted with red
rubies worth Rs 78,000 among others.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee received a carpet,
a porcelain vase, a ceramic horse, an ink pot and pen among
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB