PM remembers Salve as distinguished leader
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday condoled the death of former union minister NKP Salve, saying India had lost "a distinguished leader".
In his condolence message to son Harish Salve, the prime minister said: "I was deeply grieved to hear the sad demise of your father.
"Salve was a veteran politician who served the country in different capacities over many decades. He served with distinction in the union cabinet and held the important portfolio of power," he said.
Salve, 91, passed away Sunday due to age-related problems.
Manmohan Singh recalled Salve as a man of varied interests who made lasting contributions in the promotion of education in Maharashtra and sports in the country.
"He worked hard to develop cricket in the country and was closely associated with the 1987 World Cup, which was held in the subcontinent. In his demise the country has lost a senior and distinguished leader who left a lasting imprint in different areas of public life," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference