PM resignation demand justified but let him explain: CPI
Nagpur: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh cannot escape responsibility in the coal block allocation scam but he should be given a chance to explain his stand on the issue in Parliament, Communist Party of India said on Wednesday.
"The Prime Minister may not be personally involved in corruption but certainly he is presiding over a Government which is facing charges of involvement in scams running into crores of rupees," CPI General Secretary Suravaram Sudhakar Reddy told reporters here.
"The demand from Opposition parties for the Prime Minister`s resignation was justified but unfortunately Parliament had been stalled (on CAG report) for the last two days which should not happen," he said.
"Instead of stalling Parliament`s proceedings, they (parties) should give an opportunity to the Prime Minister to explain why he should not quit (over CAG report). Also, there are so many important national issues like the drought-like situation in various parts which need to be discussed in Parliament," said the Lok Sabha MP from Nalgonda (AP).
Reddy maintained that the erstwhile Left Front Government in West Bengal, of which CPI was a part, did not oppose auction of coal blocks as claimed by the Centre.
As far as Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, which were said to have opposed auction of coal blocks, are concerned, the BJP Governments there would be in a better position to clarify on the allocation issue, the CPI leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof