PM rules out early polls, says UPA II will complete five years
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday kept open the option of accepting a third term but ruled out early elections, asserting that the government would complete its five-year term ending in May next year.
"I have still some time to complete my present term," he replied when asked during an event in New Delhi whether he would accept a third term if asked.
To another poser, Singh said he considers Prime Ministership of this vast country as "a great honour" and his effort has been to be rise up to the high expectations of the people.
Singh, who is serving the second term, has been the Prime Minister for nine years. Questioned whether he was in the election mode, the Prime Minister replied, "I am not going to answer any question (on the issue)."
When asked whether his remaining term was for "six months or one year", Singh said, "We will complete five years of our government."
During the event organised to mark 25 years of an English news channel, Singh commended the role of media in informing the public. At the same time, he regretted that there was at times, sensationalism, trivialisation and paid news, which the media itself should address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands