PM rules out early polls, says UPA II will complete five years
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday kept open the option of accepting a third term but ruled out early elections, asserting that the government would complete its five-year term ending in May next year.
"I have still some time to complete my present term," he replied when asked during an event in New Delhi whether he would accept a third term if asked.
To another poser, Singh said he considers Prime Ministership of this vast country as "a great honour" and his effort has been to be rise up to the high expectations of the people.
Singh, who is serving the second term, has been the Prime Minister for nine years. Questioned whether he was in the election mode, the Prime Minister replied, "I am not going to answer any question (on the issue)."
When asked whether his remaining term was for "six months or one year", Singh said, "We will complete five years of our government."
During the event organised to mark 25 years of an English news channel, Singh commended the role of media in informing the public. At the same time, he regretted that there was at times, sensationalism, trivialisation and paid news, which the media itself should address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Must watch VIDEO: When James Vince, Joe Root teamed-up to take possibly the best slip catch in Test cricket history
- Arun Jaitley seeks Japanese investments; meets SoftBank CEO
- German nationalist slammed over racist comment on Jerome Boateng
- 3D model demonstrates how sea waves transport materials within aquatic ecosystems
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan