PM sees 8.5 percent growth, inflation cooling by Dec
New Delhi: The country’s economy is fast returning to high growth trajectory and the government is hopeful of containing inflation to 5-6 percent by December, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Monday while speaking to reporters here to mark the first anniversary of the UPA-II.
“It’s not correct to say that our economy in not robust. Many economies collapsed worldwide due to the financial crisis. But India grew by 6.7 percent in 2008-09 and 7.2 percent in 2009-20,” said the Prime Minister.
He added that the country would witness 8.5 percent growth in the current fiscal.
The Prime Minister further admitted that inflation was problem and the common man suffered due to high prices.
"Prices continue to be a matter of concern ... it is affecting the country`s masses ... but I believe by December we can bring it down to 5 to 6 percent,"
Singh said the government has been monitoring inflation and has been taking measures to check the rising prices, particularly food products hit by poor monsoons last year.
"But for this (high inflation), international financial crisis and high prices of petroleum prices in global markets are to blame. Besides, droughts and floods in some parts of the country last year also affected our economy as whole," Singh said.
Monsoon accounts for a bulk of rains India receives and nearly 66 percent of the country`s agriculture sector depends on rains for cultivation.
High food and fuel prices fuelled overall inflation to over 10 percent in February and provisional numbers for April put it at 9.59 percent.
"As a result of steps we have taken, there are signs of prices showing a moderating trend," Singh said.
"We are closely monitoring the situation and together with state governments take all steps to bring down prices and protect the vulnerable section of our society from the impact of high prices," Dr Singh added.
Food inflation, which had shot above 20 percent in December has since moderated but is still above 16 percent.
About the government’s performance, the Prime Minister described the first year of UPA-II as one of "reasonable achievement".
"I believe that the record of our first year of UPA-II is a record of reasonable achievement. I am the first person to admit that we could have done more," Singh told reporters.
He said one should not be satisfied with "what we have achieved".
"There is always room for improvement and for better outcome. But I do believe that the record of our first year is a record of reasonable achievement," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India