PM should assure nation, youth: CPI on Delhi gang-rape
New Delhi: The CPI Saturday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to address the nation and assure the people, particularly the youth, that the government would take steps to counter crimes against women.
"If the Prime Minister can address the nation on the issue of allowing FDI in retail, why can`t he find time to do so when such horrendous crimes against women are taking place," asked CPI National Secretary D Raja.
Observing that the mass protests "reflect the anger of the people" on the issue, he said the Prime Minister "should own up moral responsibility and assure the younger generation that the government would build legal safeguards to counter the menace."
He said the Prime Minister has "neither been seen nor heard on such matters. These are occasions in the history of the nation that the Prime Minister should address the people."
"His silence leads to loss of confidence. The government already suffers from lack of moral authority" on several issues, Raja said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts