PM should assure nation, youth: CPI on Delhi gang-rape
New Delhi: The CPI Saturday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to address the nation and assure the people, particularly the youth, that the government would take steps to counter crimes against women.
"If the Prime Minister can address the nation on the issue of allowing FDI in retail, why can`t he find time to do so when such horrendous crimes against women are taking place," asked CPI National Secretary D Raja.
Observing that the mass protests "reflect the anger of the people" on the issue, he said the Prime Minister "should own up moral responsibility and assure the younger generation that the government would build legal safeguards to counter the menace."
He said the Prime Minister has "neither been seen nor heard on such matters. These are occasions in the history of the nation that the Prime Minister should address the people."
"His silence leads to loss of confidence. The government already suffers from lack of moral authority" on several issues, Raja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter