PM should assure nation, youth: CPI on Delhi gang-rape
New Delhi: The CPI Saturday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to address the nation and assure the people, particularly the youth, that the government would take steps to counter crimes against women.
"If the Prime Minister can address the nation on the issue of allowing FDI in retail, why can`t he find time to do so when such horrendous crimes against women are taking place," asked CPI National Secretary D Raja.
Observing that the mass protests "reflect the anger of the people" on the issue, he said the Prime Minister "should own up moral responsibility and assure the younger generation that the government would build legal safeguards to counter the menace."
He said the Prime Minister has "neither been seen nor heard on such matters. These are occasions in the history of the nation that the Prime Minister should address the people."
"His silence leads to loss of confidence. The government already suffers from lack of moral authority" on several issues, Raja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH