PM should be within Lokpal, not judiciary: BJP
Patna: The BJP on Saturday insisted that prime minister should be brought within Lokpal, but said judiciary be kept outside its jurisdiction.
"Our party`s stand on the issue is crystal clear. It wants a strong Lokpal bringing prime minister within its ambit," BJP spokesman Syed Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters here.
During NDA regime at the Centre, Atal Behari Vajpayee had himself offer his post to be brought under Lokpal, he said.
But, Hussain said, the BJP wanted that judiciary be exempted from the purview of the Lokpal as a separate commission was proposed for it.
On other contents of the bill, he said, "We`ll put our views on the bill in the Standing Committee of law and justice of Parliament."
Asked about his party`s support to Anna Hazare and his aides demanding Jan Lokpal bill, Hussain said "Anna has met our leaders and we have supported the stand on PM being brought under the ambit of the bill."
Accusing the Congress of spreading false propaganda that Anna was weakening the parliamentary system, he said "it is an attempt to defame the team”.
He reiterated his party`s demand for removal of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dixit on CWG scam, besides Union Ministers SK Shinde and Vilas Rao Deshmukh for their alleged involvement in the Adarsh scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'