PM should have ensured safe custody of coal files: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Friday expressed its ire against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s remarks that he is not responsible for the missing files in the Coal Ministry and insisted that he should have personally ensured that the sensitive documents were kept in safe custody.
"The Prime Minister is missing on the basics of his constitutional responsibility. He is the first among equals in his ministry and in this case he also held the coal ministry portfolio. He should have personally seen to it that the files are kept in safe custody," Deputy Leader of BJP in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters.
The BJP has been attacking the Prime Minister on the issue of missing files and alleged that since he held the coal portfolio between 2006-09, he should be held responsible. The party has alleged that coal mines were allocated in this period without following proper procedure and there was favouritism while giving contracts.
The coal block allocation scam is estimated to be worth Rs 1.86 lakh crore. CBI investigation into the case is being monitored by the Supreme Court.
The Prime Minister has denied that he is in any way responsible for the scam or the missing files.
"I am not the custodian of the files in the Coal Ministry," Singh said in the Rajya Sabha during a discussion on his statement on the state of the economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources