PM should own up `responsibility` in coal scam, step down: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said the "public spat" between the Attorney General and the Additional Solicitor General reinforces its view that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should own up "responsibility" in the coal scam and step down.
"The public spat between the Attorney General and the Additional Solicitor General on how, who pressurised whom on the CBI report on coalgate is not only saddening but also very, very regretable," BJP Deputy Leader in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
The BJP Parliamentary Party today discussed the issue of the letter shot off by Additional Solicitor General Haren Raval to Attorney General G E Vahanvati in which he alleged that he has been made a "scapegoat" in the matter.
Prasad maintained that till now there were reports that Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and officials in the Prime Minister`s Office and the Coal Ministry were involved in the vetting of the CBI report on the coal issue but now even top law officers of the government have been "colluding in the compromise of constitutional institutions".
"This is a serious matter. This all the more reinforces our demand that the Prime Minister should own up the responsibility and resign," he said, adding that the Law Minister too should step down.
The BJP leader alleged that these law officials did not tell the truth to the highest court about the CBI report.
The party also discussed the Chinese incursions and its strategy in Parliament on the Finance Bill.
BJP has decided that after Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj spelled out the reasons for BJP`s agitation in both the Houses and why it is demanding the Prime Minister`s resignation, the party will stage a walkout and let the government pass the Finance Bill, Appropriations Bill, Rail Budget and Demands for Grants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India