PM should own up `responsibility` in coal scam, step down: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said the "public spat" between the Attorney General and the Additional Solicitor General reinforces its view that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should own up "responsibility" in the coal scam and step down.
"The public spat between the Attorney General and the Additional Solicitor General on how, who pressurised whom on the CBI report on coalgate is not only saddening but also very, very regretable," BJP Deputy Leader in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
The BJP Parliamentary Party today discussed the issue of the letter shot off by Additional Solicitor General Haren Raval to Attorney General G E Vahanvati in which he alleged that he has been made a "scapegoat" in the matter.
Prasad maintained that till now there were reports that Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and officials in the Prime Minister`s Office and the Coal Ministry were involved in the vetting of the CBI report on the coal issue but now even top law officers of the government have been "colluding in the compromise of constitutional institutions".
"This is a serious matter. This all the more reinforces our demand that the Prime Minister should own up the responsibility and resign," he said, adding that the Law Minister too should step down.
The BJP leader alleged that these law officials did not tell the truth to the highest court about the CBI report.
The party also discussed the Chinese incursions and its strategy in Parliament on the Finance Bill.
BJP has decided that after Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj spelled out the reasons for BJP`s agitation in both the Houses and why it is demanding the Prime Minister`s resignation, the party will stage a walkout and let the government pass the Finance Bill, Appropriations Bill, Rail Budget and Demands for Grants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'