PM, Sonia Gandhi pay tributes to Vilasrao Deshmukh
Latur: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday visited Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh`s native Babhalgaon village here and paid their last respects to the departed leader.
Both Singh and Gandhi laid a wreath on the wooden casket, in which Deshmukh`s body rested. Gandhi went up to Deshmukh`s wife Vaishali and consoled and hugged her.
Singh spoke to Deshmukh`s son Amit and consoled him. Both the Prime Minister and the UPA chairperson sat with the family for a few minutes before leaving.
Governor K Sankarayananan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his deputy Ajit Pawar, AICC in-charge of the State Mohan Prakash, State Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Union Minister Mukul Wasnik and Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajiv Shukla accompanied the Prime Minister and Gandhi.
Deshmukh`s mortal remains would be consigned to flames at around 4 pm today at his farm at Babhalgaon, close to the place where his father Dagdojirao was cremated.
The senior Congress leader passed away at the Global Hospital in Chennai yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!