PM, Sonia Gandhi pay tributes to Vilasrao Deshmukh
Latur: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday visited Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh`s native Babhalgaon village here and paid their last respects to the departed leader.
Both Singh and Gandhi laid a wreath on the wooden casket, in which Deshmukh`s body rested. Gandhi went up to Deshmukh`s wife Vaishali and consoled and hugged her.
Singh spoke to Deshmukh`s son Amit and consoled him. Both the Prime Minister and the UPA chairperson sat with the family for a few minutes before leaving.
Governor K Sankarayananan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his deputy Ajit Pawar, AICC in-charge of the State Mohan Prakash, State Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Union Minister Mukul Wasnik and Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajiv Shukla accompanied the Prime Minister and Gandhi.
Deshmukh`s mortal remains would be consigned to flames at around 4 pm today at his farm at Babhalgaon, close to the place where his father Dagdojirao was cremated.
The senior Congress leader passed away at the Global Hospital in Chennai yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report