PM, Sonia Gandhi pay tributes to Vilasrao Deshmukh
Latur: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday visited Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh`s native Babhalgaon village here and paid their last respects to the departed leader.
Both Singh and Gandhi laid a wreath on the wooden casket, in which Deshmukh`s body rested. Gandhi went up to Deshmukh`s wife Vaishali and consoled and hugged her.
Singh spoke to Deshmukh`s son Amit and consoled him. Both the Prime Minister and the UPA chairperson sat with the family for a few minutes before leaving.
Governor K Sankarayananan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his deputy Ajit Pawar, AICC in-charge of the State Mohan Prakash, State Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Union Minister Mukul Wasnik and Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajiv Shukla accompanied the Prime Minister and Gandhi.
Deshmukh`s mortal remains would be consigned to flames at around 4 pm today at his farm at Babhalgaon, close to the place where his father Dagdojirao was cremated.
The senior Congress leader passed away at the Global Hospital in Chennai yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred