PM, Sonia Gandhi pay tributes to Vilasrao Deshmukh
Latur: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday visited Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh`s native Babhalgaon village here and paid their last respects to the departed leader.
Both Singh and Gandhi laid a wreath on the wooden casket, in which Deshmukh`s body rested. Gandhi went up to Deshmukh`s wife Vaishali and consoled and hugged her.
Singh spoke to Deshmukh`s son Amit and consoled him. Both the Prime Minister and the UPA chairperson sat with the family for a few minutes before leaving.
Governor K Sankarayananan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, his deputy Ajit Pawar, AICC in-charge of the State Mohan Prakash, State Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Union Minister Mukul Wasnik and Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajiv Shukla accompanied the Prime Minister and Gandhi.
Deshmukh`s mortal remains would be consigned to flames at around 4 pm today at his farm at Babhalgaon, close to the place where his father Dagdojirao was cremated.
The senior Congress leader passed away at the Global Hospital in Chennai yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!