PM, Sonia in Malda on Saturday
Malda: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi will be in Malda in West Bengal for a brief 90-minute visit on Saturday during which the PM will lay the foundation of an Engineering institute.
Official sources said Singh and Gandhi would offer floral tributes at the grave of Malda strongman late A B A Ghani Khan Choudhury at his Kotwali residence soon after their arrival.
The Prime minister would also lay the foundation of Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering and Technology at Narayanpur near here at a programme in which Gandhi would also participate.
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan would be present at the function.
Union HRD minister M Pallam Raju, besides union ministers of state Abu Hashem Khan Choudhury, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury and Deepa Dasmunshi would attend the functions, the sources said adding Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was also expected to participate.
AICC observer in-charge of the state Shakeel Ahmed and West Bengal PCC president Pradip Bhattacharya would also be present.
Security has been tightened in Malda town in view of the VVIP presence on Saturday and a team of SPG personnel has already arrived there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra