PM, Sonia in Malda on Saturday
Malda: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi will be in Malda in West Bengal for a brief 90-minute visit on Saturday during which the PM will lay the foundation of an Engineering institute.
Official sources said Singh and Gandhi would offer floral tributes at the grave of Malda strongman late A B A Ghani Khan Choudhury at his Kotwali residence soon after their arrival.
The Prime minister would also lay the foundation of Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering and Technology at Narayanpur near here at a programme in which Gandhi would also participate.
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan would be present at the function.
Union HRD minister M Pallam Raju, besides union ministers of state Abu Hashem Khan Choudhury, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury and Deepa Dasmunshi would attend the functions, the sources said adding Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was also expected to participate.
AICC observer in-charge of the state Shakeel Ahmed and West Bengal PCC president Pradip Bhattacharya would also be present.
Security has been tightened in Malda town in view of the VVIP presence on Saturday and a team of SPG personnel has already arrived there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened