PM, Sonia to attend Youth Cong meet today
New Delhi: After successfully carrying out elections for the first time in the Youth Congress, Rahul Gandhi will address to the Gen Next party activists on Monday.
Rahul will speak to the newly-elected office bearers of the Youth Congress here at the first-ever convention of the
body in the backdrop of Assembly polls to five states, including Uttar Pradesh.
Gandhi will be inaugurating the convention of the 8,000- odd elected members from across the country at a time when the UPA-II has just completed its mid-term and is poised for
The two-day convention beginning today is also being addressed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi during the valedictory session on Tuesday. They
are expected to touch upon the current political issues during their speech.
The convention titled `Buniyaad` (foundation) is the first major programme of the party after Rahul Gandhi started playing a larger role in the organisation in the wake of his
In fact, the convention is the brainchild of Rahul, the General Secretary in-charge of Youth Congress, who has been insisting that all office bearers should be called to the capital for a discussion with senior leaders and among themselves.
The two-day convention at Japanese Park, first of its kind in the history of Youth Congress, comes ahead of Assembly Elections to five states, including the politically-crucial Uttar Pradesh, where Gandhi is leading the campaign charge.
"All the 8,000 people who will be participating in the convention have been democratically-elected by Youth Congress workers. The conference has been convened so that they get a forum to discuss the political situation and other issues as a group," a close aide of Gandhi told reporters
The aide, who has been involved in Youth Congress activities for the past 10 years, said the office-bearers would also be told about the political stand of the party on various issues.
"Youth Congress office-bearers from all states would be represented at the conference. So they will get a chance to interact among themselves. He (Rahul) wanted such a convention," he said.
Senior Ministers like Pranab Mukherjee, A K Antony, Mukul Wasnik and Jairam Ramesh are also expected to address the convention and impart lessons to the office-bearers, sources
Rahul has been personally touring the country and conducting membership drives to strengthen the party`s youth wing. He has also brought in election system to elect office
bearers and Presidents of state Youth Congress units.
This is the first time that such a convention of the Youth Congress will be held, the sources said, adding that the idea was mooted by Rahul.
The convention is likely to adopt resolutions on pressing issues like inflation, the sources said.
All the 8,000-odd office-bearers will be put up at the same venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31