PM, Sonia undertake aerial survey of flood-ravaged Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday made an aerial survey of rain-ravaged areas in Uttarakhand where flash floods have claimed over a hundred lives and left thousands of pilgrims for Himalayan shrines stranded.
The situation created by the heavy rains and floods in the state was discussed at the Congress Core Group meeting this morning.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram told reporters after the meeting that the situation in Uttarakhand is better than what it was yesterday and Food Minister K V Thomas is taking steps to rush more food grains to the flood-hit Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
"The objective is to ensure that food grains and food packets are available to the affected people. On the food issue, a number of decisions were taken," he said.
On the steps being initiated by the government to provide succour to the victims, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that IAF helicopters have been deployed to evacuate stranded people from Gaurikund in Uttarakhand while a control centre has been established in Badrinath. ITBP has given shelter to about 6,400 people at Joshimath, he said.
"Fourteen teams comprising 540 persons of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been deployed in Uttarakhand. 62,790 people are stranded in Uttarakhand. 5000 people have been rescued by the Army," the Home Minister said.
Both Singh and Gandhi had yesterday written to Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and the government has assured him all assistance in rescue and relief operations.
Gandhi, who had also spoken to Shinde and Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, has sought "timely and prompt" relief measures in the two states.
Shinde said that Gandhi and the Prime Minister will be undertaking the aerial survey this afternoon.
The Prime Minister had yesterday directed agencies of the central government to assist in rescue and relief operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune