PM speaks to Dhoni, says country proud of his leadership
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Sunday spoke to cricket captain MS Dhoni and congratulated him
on the Indian team`s World Cup triumph, calling the victory
The prime minister told Dhoni that the country was
proud of the cricket team and also of his leadership, a PMO
official said tonight.
In his congratulatory messsage to the Indian team
shortly after its victory last night, Prime Minister Singh had
said, "the hard work and the effort of MS Dhoni and his men
have been rewarded".
"I join the nation in congratulating the Indian cricket
team on their victory. The hard work and the effort of MS
Dhoni and his men have been rewarded. They have shown the
world that India is at the top of the game of cricket", Singh
said soon after watching the Indian skipper hitting the
winning stroke with a huge six.
The Prime Minister, who watched the final on TV from 6pm
on returning to Delhi after electioneering in Assam, said the
Indian cricketers "have demonstrated great team spirit all the
concentration and the skill needed to win this well-deserved
"The Indian team has made India proud", Singh said.
On the eve of the Saturday final against Sri Lanka in
Mumbai, Prime Minister Singh had sent in his best wishes to
the Indian team, hoping it will emerge victorious.
"Keep it up is all I would say. I hope India wins,"
Singh said when asked about his message to the Indian cricket
Singh, who watched the blockbuster India-Pakistan
semi-final clash in Mohali along with his Pakistani
counterpart Yusuf Raza Gilani, had said he will not travel to
Mumbai to watch the final as he will be in Assam for poll
"The whole nation joins in wishing the Indian cricket
team," he said, adding that he would be watching the game as
and when he gets time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- 7th CPC: Govt to set up anomalies committees related to IAS, IPS, IFoS
- WATCH: 17 runs off 1 ball! Virender Sehwag does the impossible against Pakistan
- 7th Pay Commission: No annual increment for govt employees if performance not upto the mark
- 7th Pay Commission: Chiefs of regulatory bodies to get Rs 4.5 lakh pay
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' joins Rs 200 crore club in India