PM suggests survey to assess public mood on each Parliament session
New Delhi: Noting that people have a lot of expectations from legislature, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday suggested conducting of a survey to assess public opinion on the performance of each Parliament session.
He shared the view of veteran parliamentarian Karan Singh who lamented frequent disruptions in Parliament`s functioning by MPs.
"The nation is expecting a lot from Parliament. Sometime I think we should do a survey among people as to how they have responded to a session," Modi said at a function here to confer `Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards` to Karan Singh, union Minister Arun Jaitley and JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav.
"In a professional way, people`s opinion can be presented... It may inspire us to progress ahead of where we are," he said, while observing that every word of the House should become "a source of inspiration" for the coming generations.
Modi said there is a considerable intellectual talent in Parliament and many MPs have the skill of presenting their thoughts in an impressive manner. However, he said, this was not enough to run Parliament impressively.
"Unless there is a convergence of leadership, action and personality, such words or thoughts cannot impress Parliament nor can it inspire the nation," he said.
He urged Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan to call a meeting of state Assembly speakers to see how a similar exercise can be started there as it would encourage them to do better.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram