PM takes oath as Rajya Sabha member
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday took oath as member of Rajya Sabha after being re-elected from Assam.
80-year-old Singh, who is the Leader of the Upper House, was recently elected a member of Rajya Sabha from Assam for the fifth consecutive term.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi and party leaders Ahmed Patel, Motilal Vohra and Rajv Shukla were among those present on the occasion.
Singh, who took oath in the name of God, told reporters that "It is a great opportunity for me to re-dedicate myself to the service of the people of Assam".
Lok Janshakti Party President Ram Vilas Paswan, SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav and a number of Rajya Sabha members were present at the function.
Another Congress member from Assam Santius Kujur also took oath today.
The election to the two Rajya Sabha seats from Assam had taken place on May 30 and Congress had won both the seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured